The event will offer talks related to the latest community trends and topics, an array of scholarship opportunities, specialized networking events, and more
SAN FRANCISCO, March 13, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Today, Black Hat, the world’s leading producer of information security events, reveals new programming for Black Hat Asia, developed to continue its service to the wider InfoSec industry as well as the local Singapore community. Black Hat has made strategic steps in welcoming a wide range of professionals and offering a platform to discuss issues impacting the community. This year’s additions to the Black Hat Asia program will deliver opportunities to address issues impacting the industry, offer a platform for local research, invite and educate individuals from all backgrounds, and more.
Black Hat Asia will take place March 26-29, 2019 at the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore. For more information and to save S$200 on registration prices by March 22, please visit: blackhat.com/asia-19/
H.A.S.H. event taking place alongside Black Hat Asia: Thursday, March 28
Taking place Thursday during Black Hat Asia, the Hackers Appreciation & Social Hour (H.A.S.H.) is a networking and appreciation session organised by the Government Technology Agency (GovTech) & Cyber Security Agency (CSA) for participants of the Government Bug Bounty Programme.
Community Talks: Thursday, March 28
Black Hat community talks were developed to provide a focus on relevant issues currently impacting the InfoSec community. For the first time, these talks will be offered to the Black Hat Asia audience, providing insights to help individuals both new to InfoSec, as well as seasoned professionals.
- “Keep Everyone In Sync: Effective Approaches Borrowed from Open Source Communities”: Wang Kang, Security Expert with the Alibaba Group, will provide an in-depth discussion around keeping the InfoSec community communications in sync without consuming additional resources or energy. His Briefing will not only provide proven research, but real world examples for an all-encompassing deep dive.
- “The Missing Pieces in Cyber Insurance”: Director at CrowdStrike and Black Hat Review Board member, Vincenzo Iozzo, will lead a discussion on the current state of risk modeling for cyber insurance, how the two industries are interacting, and what are the key missing pieces to have a functional insurance market for cyber risk.
- “Are We Converting Community Knowledge into Secure Organisations”: Pamela O’Shea, Director of Shea Information Security, will host a talk that identifies where the focus is in our community and what is expected of us in our day-to-day occupations according to industry standards. This analysis sets out where our interests overlap with our work and how we can use new knowledge circulating among researchers to the benefit of our organisations.
Local Arsenal Tools:
Black Hat Arsenal, which showcases the hottest developments from the open-source community, will be welcoming several local researchers to demo their tools onsite at Black Hat Asia. Among these local tools are researchers who participated and won via HackSmith v2.0, a hackathon co-organised by Black Hat Asia and Division Zero in Singapore that aims to promote Singapore InfoSec tools development.
- npm-scan: An Extensible, Heuristic-Based Vulnerability Scanning Tool for Installed NPM Packages – Eugene Lim, Bernard Lim, Matthew Wong
- RF-Xfil: Prototype Toolkit for Data Exfiltration Over Radio Frequencies – Jie Feng Ho, Ragul Balaji Velusamy Sathiakumar, Andre Ng
- NFC Scrambler – Davis Zheng, Ashley Tan
For the fourth year, the Black Hat Scholarship program will introduce the next generation of security professionals by awarding 75 complimentary Academic Briefings Passes to a limited number of student applicants. Black Hat is also pleased to announce a new partnership with IN Security Movement that has awarded 20 complimentary Briefings passes to women with a passion for information security looking to successfully start their careers. This year will also see the return of the Educator Scholarship program, through which 10 local educators will be given complimentary Briefings passes as an effort to meet the growing demands placed on local educators and to make training and education accessible to all.
Women in Security Meetup: Friday, March 29
Review Board members, local associations and attendees of Black Hat Asia will be invited to connect and network at the Women in Security Meet Up. Black Hat Asia Review Board members Ashley Chen, security researcher at FireEye, and Asuka Nakajima, researcher at the NTT Secure Platform Laboratories, will share their experiences launching and attending Women in InfoSec events and discuss how attendees can do the same in their local communities.
AISP, Division Zero (Div0), ICE71, Information Security Development Association (ISDA), ISACA Singapore Chapter, Japan Network Security Association (JNSA), OWASP, Singapore Cybersecurity Consortium, Taiwan Cyber Security Alliance, TechTalkThai, and Computer Audit Association.
Black Hat Asia Sponsors
Top sponsors of Black Hat Asia 2019 include Diamond Sponsors: Infoblox, Tenable; Platinum Sponsors: PolySwarm, Qualys, Tripwire; and Gold: Anomali, Darktrace. For more information on sponsorship opportunities and to see the full list of participating companies, visit: blackhat.com/asia-19/
Connect with Black Hat (#BlackHat)
Future Black Hat Dates and Events
- Black Hat USA 2019, Las Vegas, Nevada, August 3-8, 2019
- Black Hat Europe 2019, London, England, December 3-6, 2019
About Black Hat
For more than 20 years, Black Hat has provided attendees with the very latest in information security research, development, and trends. These high-profile global events and trainings are driven by the needs of the security community, striving to bring together the best minds in the industry. Black Hat inspires professionals at all career levels, encouraging growth and collaboration among academia, world-class researchers, and leaders in the public and private sectors. Black Hat Briefings and Trainings are held annually in the United States, Europe and Asia. More information is available at: blackhat.com. Black Hat is organized by UBM, which in June 2018 combined with Informa PLC to become a leading B2B information services group and the largest B2B Events organizer in the world.
Black Hat PR