Museum to officially allow limited filming, photography

The National Palace Museum (NPM) will officially allow limited photography and recording of certain artifacts in exhibition areas at its branches in Taipei and Chiayi from Dec. 2, after a three-month trial ends on Dec. 1, NPM Deputy Director Lee Ching-hui (李靜慧) said Monday.

Photography had previously been banned to protect the artifacts, but during the three-month trial period from Sept. 1 to Dec. 1, tourists and visitors can take pictures of some of the museum’s most famous pieces, including the Jadeite Cabbage and the Meat-shaped Stone, but flash, as well as tripods and selfie sticks, are still banned, according to the NPM.

Because the trial implementation proved feasible, the NPM decided last week to extend the three-month trial period to permanently allow filming, photography of some of the items at its branches, Lee said at a meeting of the Legislature’s Education and Culture Committee.

In addition, the NPM has also decided to allocate funds to set up wireless Internet connections for visitors in exhibition areas so that they can upload photos and video using their smartphones, Lee said, adding that the museum has installed a 4G mobile communication base station to offer wireless Internet access for visitors.

Source: Focus Taiwan News Channel

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

For security, use of Google's reCAPTCHA service is required which is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

I agree to these terms.