The Cabinet’s top official in charge of food safety said Wednesday that no decision has been made yet on the importation of food from Japan’s radiation affected areas.
Sheu Fuu (許輔), director of the Office of Food Safety, was responding to reporters’ questions on the government’s reported plan to lift an import ban on food items from five prefectures affected by the nuclear power plant meltdown in Fukushima in March, 2011.
The Cabinet has held two special meetings on the food import issue to discuss matters related to public hearings and to review the topics that will be discussed at those forums, according to Sheu, who assumed the post of food safety director last month.
The Cabinet has not yet formulated a policy on the issue or decided whether to lift the ban, Sheu said.
He said the public hearings on the issue will be held in an open and transparent manner so that all questions can be thoroughly debated.
Source: Focus Taiwan News Channel