Organized by the Hakka Affairs Council (HAC), the Hakka Choir Competition aims to promote the Hakka language and music, raise the profile of Hakka culture, and deepen Hakka selfidentity. Through the competition, it is expected that more people in Taiwan can appreciate the uniqueness of Hakka heritage.
I. By age
Children Choir: Maximum 15 years old (Born after Dec. 7, 2004)
Youth Choir: Between 15 to 20 years old (Born before Dec. 7, 2004 and after Dec. 7, 1999)
Adult Choir: Minimum 20 years old (Born before Dec. 7, 1999)
Senior Choir: Minimum 50 years old (Born before Dec. 7, 1969)
Note: It is allowed to have no more than 10% over/under aged singers in Adult Choir and Senior Choir.
II. By music type
Category 2: Traditional Hakka Mountain Songs, all age groups
Category 3: Contemporary A Cappella, all age groups
III. Number of singers
1. Minimum 16, maximum 60 in Category 1 and 2; in Category 3 minimum 3, maximum 12 (not counting conductor and accompanist).
2. Each choir is allowed to register for a maximum of three categories. For example, one choir can sign up for Category 1 and 2.
3. A singer is allowed to compete as a member of one choir only in each category.
I. Deadline: Sept. 30, 2019
II. How to register
1. Please fill in Online Registration Form at www.hakkachoir.com.
2. After registering online, fill in the application forms (Appendix 2 to 6) and submit them by express mail service, including 7 copies of original music scores.
To: 2019 Hakka Choir Competition
Address: 5F. 661, Bannan Rd., Zhonghe Dist., New Taipei City 235, Taiwan
3. The files of 5 choir photos and a oneminute video* of the choir's selfintroduction could be emailed to email@example.com.
* The oneminute video is optional.
I. Date: Dec. 7 and 8, 2019
II. Location: Cultural Affairs Bureau of Hsinchu County Government
Address: 146 Xianzheng 9th Rd., Zhubei City, Hsinchu County 302, Taiwan
All repertoire shall be Hakka songs.
For Category 1, one of the two pieces MUST be chosen from the compulsory list (Appendix 1). Both pieces can be performed with instrumental accompaniment.
For Category 2, two pieces MUST be folk songs or traditional music, and can be performed with instrumental accompaniment.
For Category 3, two pieces are required without specific criteria, and can be performed with atonal percussion instruments.
Note 1: A choir is not allowed to change its repertoire nor the order in which it will be sung.
Note 2: The total duration of performed pieces is no more than 10 minutes.
Source: Hakka Affairs Council